Do I need a physical examination?
A physical examination (PE) is a head-to-toe examination on your first office visit with your health provider and should become a regular annual physical exam after the initial first visit. The examination is to review all important systems in your body (e.g., respiratory, cardiac, neurological, gastrointestinal, etc.) to find any abnormalities. The PE can reveal or find any issues with your health that you were not aware of. This is your time to discuss any issues, pains, or concerns with your provider.
What can I expect during my physical exam?
Magdalena is dedicated to providing the highest standard of personal treatment and takes her time to listen and answer all questions and concerns during your visit. She ensures that you fully understand where your health stands and provides the most effective methods of treatment that fit your needs.
Magdalena may include many (if not all) of these steps during your physical exam.
- Reviewing your medical history and lifestyle behaviors
- Checking your vitals (such as blood pressure, heart rate, and temperature)
- Heart exam
- Lung exam
- Head and neck exam (including ears, nose, sinuses, eyes, and lymph nodes)
- Neurological Exam (such as nerves, muscle strength, reflexes, and balance)
- Dermatological Exam (skin and nail findings that could identify other problems)
- Extremities Exam (for example examing joints for abnormalities)
Are there any labs included in the physical exam?
Depending on your personal needs and bringing into account your age, any pre-existing conditions, or concerns, Magdalena may perform the following tests as well.
- A complete blood count
- Chemistry panel
- Urinalysis (UA)
- Lipid panel to check cholesterol levels
- A blood sugar test for diabetes (for those at risk or over age 45)
- An ECG (EKG) to monitor heart function
Your annual physical exam is a great opportunity to focus your attention on prevention, screening, and making any necessary shifts in your lifestyle to better your health and add years back to your life.
Schedule your appointment today with our wonderful 5-star staff.